- Courts & Law
- Superior Court
- Guardians ad Litem & Court Visitors
- Court Visitor / Guardian ad Litem Title 11.130 - Adult Guardianship or Conservatorship
- Application Instructions - Title 11.130.155 Court Visitor - Adult Guardianship/Conservatorship
Application Instructions - Title 11.130.155 Court Visitor - Adult Guardianship/Conservatorship
Court Visitor/Guardian Ad Litem RCW 11.130.155
The GAL application period is now OPEN and Pierce County is accepting applications through March 24, 2023, for Court Visitor Registry, effective July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024.
Pursuant to the Pierce County Location Rule effective September 2013, the Court is opening the registry for new or former Title 11 GALs. Individuals currently serving on the Title 11 Certified Registry must reapply to remain on the registry.
Application Submission Dates & Instructions
The Court Visitor application period is now accepting applications from January 3, 2023, through March 24, 2023, for the registry effective July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024. No late applications shall be considered. As in subsequent application periods, if you have not attended the required training by the application closing date, you may timely submit your application and indicate when and where you will be attending the training. Once the training is completed, you must immediately forward a copy of your Certificate of Attendance to the Superior Court Administrator. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email Heather Christopher.
All interested parties, including individuals who are currently on the registry, need to submit the Court Visitor Application packet along with required attachments. Please note, the application is updated annually; therefore, the previous year's application will not be accepted.
All applications must be submitted by Friday, March 24, 2023, at 4:00 p.m., to Superior Court Administrator.
Completing the Application
Please include the RCW number (RCW 11.130 or 26.09) of the applicable registry on all correspondence you send to the court. All required information must be received by the Superior Court Administration by the application deadline. To properly complete your application, please return a signed original hard-copy application to the Superior Court administrator, including the following materials:
- Submit a signed Title 11 Court Visitor Certified Registry application. All interested parties, including individuals who are currently on the registry, need to submit the application packet along with required attachments. Please note, the application is updated annually; therefore, the previous year's application will not be accepted.
- Submit a signed Policy 4, Code of Conduct (this will be included in your application download), also set forth in Pierce County local rules and GALR 2 of the Washington State court rules.
- Submit a Washington State Patrol (WSP) background check (WATCH REPORT) dated within 3 months of application submission. You may also obtain your WATCH Report from the WSP website.
- Curriculum vitae or resume.
Returning Court Visitors with no break in service are required to complete only the second day of the training.
If you are not currently serving on any other county’s RCW 11.130 certified Court Visitor Registry, you are required to attend both days of the mandatory training held in the same year in which you apply. Training in past years will not satisfy this requirement.
KCBA Title 11 GAL/Court Visitor Training is scheduled for the end of January. KCBA puts on this approved training annually and attendance at an approved training is required for initial certification (two days for initial certification) and annually (one day for recertification) if you want to serve, or continue to serve, as a court appointed Title 11.130 RCW court visitor.
Initial Certification: January 26th & 27th; 8:00 am – 4:30 pm : 2023 Title 11 Adult Guardianship GAL/Court Visitor Training - Initial Certification (kcba.org)
Recertification: January 27th; 8:00 am – 4:45 PM 2023 Title 11 GAL/Court Visitor Training (Recertification) (kcba.org)
This training will be held virtually via Zoom.