- Courts & Law
- Superior Court
- Guardians ad Litem & Court Visitors
- Guardian ad Litem Title 26 - Parenting Plan
- Application Instructions - 26.09 GAL
Application Instructions - 26.09 GAL
Guardian Ad Litem Application 26.09
The GAL application period is currently open and we are accepting applications through March 24, 2023, for registry effective July 1, 2022, through June 30, 2023.
Application Period is now open
The Court is accepting applications from January 3, 2023, through March 24, 2023, to serve on the registry effective July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2024. No late applications shall be considered. As in prior application periods, if you have not attended the required training by the application closing date, you may timely submit your application and indicate when and where you will be attending the training. Once the training is completed, you must immediately forward a copy of your Certificate of Attendance to the Superior Court Administrator. If you have questions regarding the application process, please email Heather Christopher.
Application Submission Dates & Instructions
Only applications with a revision date of December 2022, will be accepted during the open application period.
All new applicants and former registry members not currently serving on the RCW 26.09 Certified Registry must complete the application packet and supply all written documentation including a resume.
All current members on the Certified Registry must complete the Updated Contact Information Form, a current signed Code of Conduct and WSP Criminal History. GALs with continued service on the registry are required to submit the full version of the application packet and supporting documents. All applications must be submitted by the close of business on March 24, 2023, by 4:00 p.m. Submit application materials to the Superior Court Administrator at 930 Tacoma Ave S, Room 334.
Completing an Application
Please include the RCW number (RCW 11.88 or 26.09) of the applicable registry on all correspondence you send to the court. All required information must be received by the Superior Court Administrator by the application deadline. To properly complete your application, please return a signed original hard-copy application to the Superior Court Administrator, including the following materials:
- Submit a signed Title 26 GAL Certified Registry application. Guardians ad Litem currently serving may submit the Updated Contact Information Form. All interested parties and GALs who have served in the past will need to submit the new applicant application along with required attachments. Please note, the application is updated annually; therefore, the previous year's application will not be accepted.
- Submit a signed Policy 2, Code of Conduct (this will be included in your application download), also set forth in Pierce County local rules and GALR 2 of the Washington State court rules.
- Submit a Washington State Patrol (WSP) background check (WATCH REPORT) dated within 3 months of application submission. You may obtain your WATCH Report from the WSP website.
- Curriculum vitae or resume for new applicants only.
Please be mindful to complete the correct application based on your new or returning applicant status. If you are selected for the registry, you will receive further mentoring instructions. Upon provisional approval to serve on the registry, new applicants will be assigned to a mentor and experienced GAL for job shadowing. Once the mentoring and job shadowing is completed, provisional applicants will be required to complete a Declaration of Job Shadowing completion form. This form must be completed, and on file, in Superior Court Administration by December 31, 2023.