Veterans Assistance Fund

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4

The Veterans Assistance Programs administers the Veterans' Assistance Fund as mandated by State Law to provide emergency relief to indigent veterans residing in Pierce County. The purpose of the Veteran’s Assistance Fund is to provide emergency assistance to qualified veterans in need. It is funded by Pierce County using property tax dollars. We are not part of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and assistance is provided on an emergency need basis only.

  • Once a year rental, utility, and medical assistance 
  • Food vouchers every four (4) months , six (6) months or annually, depending on income

Proof of service, income, residency and other documentation is required to qualify for assistance.

How to Qualify for Services

The veteran must have honorably served on active duty for a period of 180 or more consecutive days.

  • The veteran must show an original or certified copy of a DD214 or, if discharged prior to 1950, a Certificate of Discharge.
  • The veteran must have been a continual resident of the State of Washington for a period of one year immediately prior to application and a resident of Pierce County at the time of application.
  • The veteran must be able to provide proof of their identification and documentation of eligibility of dependents.
  • The veteran must be indigent.
  • If employable, the veteran must show evidence of job search. A minimum of one documented search each week for a period of six weeks is required.
  • Income verification is required, i.e. paystubs, social security statement of benefits, VA award letter for service connected disability or non-service connected pension.
  • Applicants for assistance must meet the requirements and restrictions as dictated by current state law, county laws and ordinances and program contracts.
  • Assistance is provided in the form of vouchers only. No cash is provided.
  • Further documentation may be required by staff to receive services.

For more information, call us at (253) 798-7449 or toll free at 1 (800) 992-2456.