North Lake Tapps Park
North Lake Tapps Park
2022 - 198th Ave. E.
Bonney Lake, WA 98391
About the Park
This popular swimming and boat launch area is located on the north side of Lake Tapps. A largely undeveloped 135 acre site with approximately 10,000 feet of waterfront access including a sandy swimming area. North Lake Tapps County Park offers spectacular views of Mount Rainier to the south and is a great place for kids and adults to swim.
After six months of construction, shoreline access and parking improvements were completed in July of 2020. The list of improvements include:
- New bulkhead which allows for easier water access, and a new pocket beach that gives park visitors an additional way to access the water.
- New extended boat ramp for easier water access. This improvement also makes it easier for Pierce County Sheriff deputies to conduct low-water rescues, enhancing visitor safety.
- Newly added restroom building, picnic tables, BBQ grills, and coal dumps.
- New peninsula walking path which ends at a Mt. Rainier viewpoint.
- Addition of a rocky shoreline along the pocket beach and the replacement of invasive weeds with native plants along the new walking path.
Many of the improvements earn high marks for sustainability. The improved bulkhead and boat ramps will reduce maintenance time for backfilling and repairs. Water-efficient irrigation will reduce the amount of water used and will decrease personnel time to hand water. A goose management control device has been added that will reduce personnel time cleaning up goose droppings, which will improve visitor experiences.
- Barbecue grills and coal dumps
- Beach access
- Boat ramp
- Picnic tables
- Peninsula walking path which ends at a Mt. Rainier viewpoint
- Life jacket self serve kiosk during the summer months
Reservations are NOT accepted at North Lake Tapps County Park. All accessible picnic/park areas are first-come, first-served.
During the summer months, come early on hot days and weekends. Parking is limited and the gates are closed to vehicles and boats when parking is full.
- July 4th - Open 6:00 a.m. until the end of the Tapps' Island Fireworks Show. All visitors must exit the park no later than ½ hour after the show ends.
Boat Launch Ramp Availability
Normally the lake is not at full capacity until late May. Mid to late September the lake level will begin to lower a foot per day.
Cascade Water Alliance controls the draining and refilling of the water level at Lake Tapps. View current water levels from Cascade Water Alliance’s website.
Before heading up to the park it is important to know what is available to you and your family. The boat launch and trailer parking are open for public use. Launch parking is $15.00. Restrooms throughout the park will be open and available for use. Vehicle parking is $7.00 and $3.50 for seniors.
The park is located at 2002 198th Avenue East, off of 12th Street East in Sumner. (map)
Directions From I-5
- Take exit 127 (Puyallup / Mt. Rainier) and head east to Highway 512
- Merge onto WA-167 North towards Seattle
- Take the Stewart Road / 8th Street East exit toward Pacific / Milton
- Turn east (right) onto 8th Street East / Stweart Road SW
- 8th Street East / Stewart Road SW becomes Lake Tapps Parkway East
- Lake Tapps Parkway East becomes 9th Street East
- Go approximately one block to entrance of park
From SR 410 in Sumner
- Take the 166th Avenue East exit and head north (left) on 166th
- Stay on Sumner Tapps Highway as it bends east (right) and turns into 16th Street East. Then it will bend north and turn into 182nd Avenue East
- Turn right on 9th Street East which bends gradually and turns into 12th Street East
- Turn right on 198th Avenue East and go approximately one block to park entrance