- Departments H-Z
- Parks & Recreation
- Parks, Facilities & Trails
- North Lake Tapps Park
North Lake Tapps Park
This popular swimming and boat launch area is located on the north side of Lake Tapps. A largely undeveloped 135 acre site with approximately 10,000 feet of waterfront access including a sandy swimming area. North Lake Tapps County Park offers spectacular views of Mount Rainier to the south and is a great place for kids and adults to swim.
- Barbecue grills and coal dumps
- Beach access and new pocket beach water access
- Improved bulkhead and extended boat ramp
- Picnic tables, BBQ grills, and coal dumps
- Peninsula walking path which ends at a Mt. Rainier viewpoint
- Life jacket self-serve kiosk during the summer months
Park reservations are NOT accepted at North Lake Tapps County Park at this time. All accessible picnic/park areas are first-come, first-served.
Boat Launch Parking Reservation
Reservations can be made 30 days in advance. For more information, view the fees page.
Parking & Park Access - Know Before You Go
During the summer months, come early on hot days and weekends. General public and boat parking are limited. Those planning to visit the park should be prepared for traffic congestion, and potential park entry restrictions, and have an alternate destination in mind if the park has reached capacity.
For overall public safety, and to ensure orderly, manageable access to the park, access is only for patrons who are parking in the designated parking spaces within the park or walking in from their personal residences. Pierce County Parks does not manage, authorize, approve, or promote any off-site parking outside of the park gate. Parking in neighborhoods, schools, or on roadways marked "No Parking" is strictly prohibited and may result in your vehicle being towed at the owner’s expense. Please refer to the updates on the parking availability within the park.
Visitors may enter the park on a first-come, first-served basis. Parks staff, and in certain circumstances Pierce County Sheriff Deputies, will monitor and determine when parking availability is at capacity.
The park is open during the following schedule unless otherwise posted:
- Open 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. from April 1 through September 30
- No new vehicles are allowed to enter the park after 7:00 p.m. from April through September
- Open 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. from October through March.
- No entry after 3:30 p.m. November-March.
The park is closed on the following Federal Holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day.
Boat Launch Ramp Availability
Normally the lake is not at full capacity until late May. Mid to late September the lake level will begin to lower daily below the recreational water level elevation.
- The boat launch is closed from November through March
Cascade Water Alliance controls the draining and refilling of the water level at Lake Tapps. View current water levels from Cascade Water Alliance’s website.