Planning for the Future of Disc Golf & BMX
Riverside Park is within a “Deep and/or Fast Flowing” water floodway. This puts current uses and infrastructure at risk and makes future improvements and expansion impossible. In order to continue to offer Disc Golf and Bicycle Motorcross (BMX) in Pierce County, Parks is working with providers to find a new ‘home’ to offer these activities over the next 1-4 years.
We are working in partnership with Pierce County Disc Golf Players Association and Riverside BMX to discuss the next steps in the relocation project. We are currently evaluating potential new sites for short and long-term opportunities for operations.
If you would like more information about the future closure of this site and future opportunities, please contact Kyle Wintermute, Deputy Director, at 253-798-4015.
Riverside Dr. E. & 78th St. Ct.
Sumner, WA 98390 (map)
Riverside Park is an undeveloped 50-acre scenic waterfront site along the Puyallup River.
The Boat Slide (launch/takeout) at Riverside Park is open for public use beginning Saturday, August 24, 2019. The "Slide" is designed for the "hand-launch" of boats such as kayaks, drift boats, and inflatable rafts.
- Access to the slide is by permit use only.
- The boat slide is available for use each year from
March 1 through October 31.
Enjoy your time on the Puyallup River and stay safe!
To acquire a permit:
- Permits are available with 24 hour advance notification
- Contact 253-798-4177 from 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM, 7 days a week.
- On each permit, you must provide the number of boats and names of additional persons in your party. Permit holder is responsible for gate access and everyone in the group.
- You will be given a combination to the boat slide gate at the time your permit is issued.
- Keep a copy of your permit with you (electronic or paper) when you are using the boat slide. Upon request, if you are unable to produce a valid permit you may be asked to vacate premises, face possible charges/fines and may lose future permit privileges.
- Riverside gates are open approximately 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 after sunset. All cars must be out of the park at this time or risk being towed at owners expense.
- Have boat ready to launch or pull out as you enter the slide area
- Do not allow others to "piggyback" though the gate without a valid permit
- You are responsible for securing the gate after entry and exit
- Park vehicle in designated boat trailer area
- Do not park along access roadway or boat slide area
- Take Trash out of the boat slide area - "pack it in, pack it out" in effect
- Do not stand on boat slide, use access to the side of slide
- Avoid disturbing surrounding vegetation that is important to river habitat
- Always be respectful of neighboring private properties
Rivers are inherently dangerous places to recreate. The water can be high, swift and cold as mountain snowpack melts, making staying in control and hypothermia real risks. Logs and rocks, both visible and hidden, pose navigation hazards. Rivers are dynamic systems that change constantly.
- Wear a PFD (personal flotation device)
- Do not use alcohol or drugs while operating a boat
- Watch children near water, stay close enough to reach them immediately
- Have a clear understanding how to use a boat slide before attempting to use this apparatus
Riverside Park BMX
Bicycle motocross is at its best here. For more information on River Valley Track please call (253) 863-1608 or visit the River Valley BMX website.
- From the north or Renton area, go south on state Highway 167 to Sumner
- From the south on I-5 exit onto state Hgwy 512, travel to Puyallup and then Sumner
- From Tacoma, exit 1-5 at the Tacoma Dome onto River Road for Puyallup and then to Sumner Highway 410
- From state Highway 410, exit toward Orting, take the first left onto Riverside Drive east
- Follow Riverside Drive east one mile to Riverside Park entrance on your right