- Pierce County Council
- Office of the Council
- Members & District Information
- Ryan Mello, District 4
District 4, Council Chair
Serving downtown Tacoma, Hilltop, Central and South Tacoma, and the cities of Fircrest and University Place.
Ryan Mello serves on the Pierce County Council, representing District 4 which is made up of the communities of downtown Tacoma, Hilltop, Central and South Tacoma along with the cities of Fircrest and University Place. He was elected in a unanimous vote of his peers to Chair the County Council in 2023. In addition, Mello chairs the Council’s Rules and Operations Committee, Community Development Committee and serves as a member on the Health and Human Services Committee and the Public Safety Committee.
Born in Kailua, Hawaii, Mello moved to Tacoma in 1997 to attend the University of Puget Sound where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Politics & Government. Fresh out of college he joined the AmeriCorps program (the domestic Peace Corps) where he coordinated the Youth United program at the United Way of Pierce County – engaging youth to a lifelong ethic of giving back.
As Executive Director of the Pierce Conservation District from 2012 to 2020 he led a team of conservation professionals committed to protecting our natural resources, Puget Sound recovery and improving our local food security.
Mello served on the Tacoma City Council from 2010 to 2019 and was Chair of the Infrastructure, Planning & Sustainability Committee, led the Puget Sound Regional Council’s Growth Management Policy Board and the Pierce County Flood Control Zone District Advisory Committee. He also served on the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency Board of Directors and Pierce Transit Board of Commissioners, among other assignments.
Mello currently serves on the Greater Tacoma Community Foundation Board of Directors, was a founding board member of Equal Rights Washington and previously was on the Transportation Choices Coalition Board of Directors.
In 2005, he was elected citywide to the MetroParks Tacoma Board of Commissioners.
Mello and his partner live in the Theater District of Tacoma and enjoy supporting local sports teams, local small businesses, the arts and hiking
Read Councilmember Mello's full bio.
Contact UsTwitter: @RyanMelloPierc1
Linktree: Councilmember Ryan Mello
Send an Email
10th Floor RM 1046
930 Tacoma Ave. S.
Tacoma, WA 98402
Follow Ryan Mello on social
Productive Legislative Session Paves Path for Council to Address Major Priorities
Posted on April 28, 2023
Pierce County Council Launches its Annual In-District Meeting Series This Month
Posted on April 14, 2023
Pierce County Council Votes in Favor of Maureen Howard Affordable Housing Act
Posted on March 21, 2023
Pierce County Council Chair and Tacoma Mayor Address Next Steps in Response to ST3 Delay
Posted on March 3, 2023
Pierce County Council Expanding Livestream Options for Council Meetings
Posted on March 1, 2023
Councilmember Dave Morell Represents Pierce County at Last Boeing 747 Delivery
Posted on February 3, 2023
District 4 includes the communities of:
- Parts of Tacoma (Central, Downtown, Hilltop, South)
- University Place
Standing Committee Memberships
|Rules & Operations||Chair|
|Human Services Committee||Member|
External Boards & Commissions
|External Boards and Commissions||Position|
|Joint Determining Board||Member|
|Joint Municipal Action Committee||Member|
|Pierce County Flood Control Zone District Board of Supervisors||Member|
|Pierce County Law & Justice Council||Member|
|Pierce County Law & Justice Community Oversight Committee||Member|
|Pierce County Regional Council||Member|
|Pierce County Reserve Officers Board of Trustees||Alternate|
|Pierce Transit Board||Member|
|Puget Sound Regional Council Executive Board||Member|
|Puget Sound Regional Council Operations Committee||Alternate|
|Puget Sound Regional Council Transportation Policy Board||Member|
|South Sound Military & Communities Partnership Elected Officials Council||Alternate|
|Tideflats Subarea Plan Steering Committee||Member|
|Transfer of Development Rights Committee||Member|
|Transportation Benefit District||Member|
|Washington State Association of Counties Board of Directors||Alternate|
|Washington State Association of Counties Legislative Steering Committee||Member|
- Pierce County Alliance Community Navigator Program - In 2021, the Washington Legislature established the provision of diversion for simple drug possession (ESB 5476). The Recovery Navigator program is designed to carve nontraditional and widespread, community-based pathways to existing services and systems. The Pierce County Recovery Navigator program offers a wide array of social services to individuals who intersect with police because of simple drug possession and/or people who have frequent contact with the criminal legal system and safety net services because of unmet behavioral healthcare needs. Recovery Navigators/Case Managers establish trusting relationships and offer ongoing individualized support for breaking cycles substance use and criminality.
- District Court Resource Center - The Pierce County District Court Resource Center is dedicated to providing access to a variety of social services and programs to justice-involved individuals and those in need, in one centralized location. Please note, all services are available to EVERYONE, not just justice-involved individuals. Services include:
Chemical dependency evaluations License Re-Instatement Assistance Homelessness Prevention Social Security Enrollment/Navigation Clothing Bank ID Card Vouchers Medicaid Enrollment and Navigation Medication Assisted Treatment Services Housing Navigation Employment Training and Education Public Assistance Enrollment Resource Navigation
- Report an Issue with See, Click, Fix! - A one stop shop for reporting a concern to the County to be addressed. Using the portal, you can report: abandoned vehicle complaints, food safety concerns, fire code violations, pavement issues, tree down or removal, trespass or encampments, graffiti/vandalism, AND MORE.
|Pierce County Council District 4|
10th Floor RM 1046
930 Tacoma Ave S
Tacoma, WA 98402