Civil Process Unit


epartment Policy in Response to Emergency Proclamation by the Governor Amending Proclamation 20-05.
21-09: Tenancy Preservation - A Bridge to E2SSB 5160

Effective July 1, 2021, the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department is prohibited from serving, threatening to serve, or otherwise acting on eviction orders affecting any dwelling unless the eviction order, including a writ of restitution, contains a finding that the landlord has complied with Governor's Order 21-09 and the unlawful detainer action is permitted under said order.

For a copy of the Governor’s Order relating to evictions, 

click here

The eviction moratorium is scheduled to end on June 30, 2021. See the Quick Links section on this page for information about the Eviction Resolution Program and Rental Assistance. 

Rental and utility assistance is available for Pierce County renters impacted by COVID-19 who are behind on payments. Apply online at or call 2-1-1 if you don't have internet access or need more languages

If you're a Pierce County homeowner behind on your mortgage  you should contact the WA State Foreclosure hotline at 1-877-894-4663.

If you already applied please be aware that Pierce County is federally required to prioritize households under 50% AMI (area median income) and those unemployed for the past 90 days.  Payments take an average of 57 days to process once applications are submitted.  You can email [email protected] for more information

Civil Unit Duties

The Civil Unit of the Pierce County Sheriff's Department serves legal documents throughout the county, performs evictions, enforces the orders of the court and holds sales of real and personal property.


The Sheriff's Department serves legal documents within Pierce County but is only responsible for serving protection orders within the unincorporated portions of the county.

City police agencies are responsible for serving domestic violence, anti-harassment, sexual assault, stalking, extreme risk and vulnerable adult protection orders to persons residing within their city limits. For service of protection orders within city limits please contact the applicable city police agency.

Serving Papers

To more effectively assist you we will need to know information about the person(s) to be served. Please submit the service information form with your service documents. Please note that we cannot serve documents unless you provide a physical address. We can't serve papers at a P.O. box. The Sheriff's Department charges a fee to serve legal papers. See our information regarding fees.

Service at Joint Base Lewis-McChord  (JBLM)

For service at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, please provide the social security number and/or date of birth for the service member being served. Civil Unit staff will attempt to contact the service member's chain of command and request that the service member appear at the Military Police Administration Office to be served.  Services at JBLM normally happen on Wednesday mornings.  We can also serve dependents at their residence on JBLM. The military does not allow us to serve civilian employees or National Guard or Army Reserve members. Madigan Army Medical Center only permits the Sheriff's Department to serve Guardianship documents to patients and Subpoenas to medical providers.