Courts & Law
Posted on May 18, 2020
Posted on May 11, 2020
Clerk of the Superior Court
The Clerk of Superior Court provides information and records of all cases filed in the Superior Court.
Pierce County District Court is a court of limited jurisdiction hearing the following cases:
- Anti-harassment protection orders
- Civil claims ("small claims") for recovery of money not to exceed $5,000
- Civil matters for damages for injury to individuals or personal property and contract disputes no greater than $100,000
- Criminal and criminal-traffic misdemeanors and gross misdemeanors
- Name changes
- Traffic and non-traffic infractions
District Court Probation
District Court Probation assesses probationers and provides reports to the courts. It also provides supervision and holds probationers accountable for their behavior.
Juvenile Court Services
The Juvenile Court has exclusive jurisdiction over those juveniles within Pierce County who violate the criminal laws of this state or who are in need of protection and/or advocacy as a result of abuse, neglect or abandonment.
Law LibraryAs the only public law library in Pierce County, the mission of the Pierce County Law Library is to provide county-wide convenient access to current legal information including explanatory materials. The library will provide information in print and electronic formats as are suitable for the diverse Pierce County community to use in criminal and civil litigation and for the resolution of personal and business legal matters.
The Superior Court is the highest level trial court in state government and the only trial court of general jurisdiction. It hears cases including:
- All suits in excess of District Court's limited jurisdiction
- Appeals from District and Municipal Courts
- Civil suits
- Felony criminal proceedings