Settlement Conference Program
As of December 1, 2016, the court amended the local rules to require settlement conferences only in cases where the parenting plan/residential schedule is at issue. Other forms or alternative dispute resolution (ADR) may be required for other issues/cases pursuant to PCLR 16.
Settlement conferences are heard by either a designated Pierce County Superior Court Judge or a Pro Tem Judge/Mediator. Settlement Conferences are scheduled by the Civil and Family Court Departments at the status conference, which is held approximately eight weeks prior to the trial date. At the scheduled status conference, the trial court will determine whether to schedule a settlement conference or require the parties to participate in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and will issue an Order on Status Conference and Setting Settlement Conference.
Settlement Conferences are scheduled by the trial courts as follows:
- Civil Departments:
- Held on Mondays and Wednesdays – one settlement conference per time slot.
- Time slots are: 9:00AM, 10:30AM, 1:00PM, and 2:30PM
- The Monday/Wednesday conferences are heard by Pro Tem Judges/Mediators.
- Family Courts 1 and 2:
- Held on Fridays at 2:00PM – four 2PM slots are available each Friday. Settlement conferences are not held on 5th Fridays.
- The Friday conferences are typically heard by a designated Pierce County Superior Court Judge (not the trial Judge).
For information on the assigned Judge or Pro Tem/Mediator for a settlement conference, please contact Cristina Platt in Administration, at 253-798-7287, or you may also contact her via email at [email protected], otherwise, please direct bench copies to:
Settlement Conference Officer
Pierce County Superior Court Administration, Room 334
Pierce County Superior Court
930 Tacoma Avenue South
Tacoma, WA 98402
For additional information regarding settlement conferences, please consult PCLR 16.