Water Pollution

Reporting Spills and Water Pollution

Emergency Situations

If the pollution is a severe threat to human health or the environment, such as large hazardous waste, gasoline or chemical spills call 911.

Non-emergency discharge to rivers, creeks, lakes or Puget Sound

Report spills to Washington State Department of Ecology at (360) 407-6300.

Non-emergency discharge to a storm drain, stormwater pond, ditch or other drainage system

Call Surface Water Management at (253) 798-4274 or fill out our online reporting form.

Water Pollution Response

Surface Water Management responds to citizen and agency requests to investigate possible water pollution. This includes discharges to lakes, ponds, streams, rivers, wetlands, ditches or other drainage systems. Surface Water Management also provides technical assistance to landowners and businesses to resolve water pollution problems.

Commonly reported water pollution problems include muddy water, foam, sewage, paint, oily sheens and algae blooms. If the problem you are reporting is within an incorporated city or town, call that city or town to report it.

Contact Us
Send a message arrow
Surface Water Management
Phone: (253) 798-2725
Fax: (253) 798-7709
7:30 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
Mailing Address:
2702 S 42nd St, Ste 201
Tacoma, WA 98409-7322