Marriage License Application

The Auditor’s Office is currently offering limited, in-person, services. We’re still here to help, but you must call us first. (253) 798-7435.

Washington State has a mandatory 3-day waiting period.
The 3-day waiting period cannot be waived.


Monday →    


Tuesday →    


Wednesday →    


Thursday →    


Friday →    


The 3-day waiting period does not begin until you have purchased the license.
The license is valid for 60 days from the issuance of the license.
Pierce County Auditor

2401 S 35th St, Rm 200, Tacoma, Washington

Please follow the instructions below to apply for your marriage license. 

1. Fill out the application online. 

The application must be completed online. After completing the application, click on the "Apply," button. If you don’t have a computer, please call for assistance. (253) 798-7435 

All marriage applications are public record (RCW 26.04.170) and may be published in the local newspaper.

2. Submit your application and $72 fee.

The easiest way to complete the process is for the couple to come to our office together. 

  Call 253-798-7435 for Assistance

Bring Government Issued photo ID (both people must be 18) and the $72 fee. You’ll be given a Marriage License.

Unable to appear in-person together? 

Complete your application online and then submit by mail.

3. Get married. 

Have your original marriage certificate signed by your witnesses, officiant, and yourself. 

4. Return signed marriage certificate and get certified copies. 

After you’re married, you MUST return the original, signed, marriage certificate to the Auditor’s Office. Return your certificate by mail or in-person.

You may then purchase certified copies for $3 each. You’ll need certified copies to:

  • Change your name with Social Security.
  • Apply for military benefits. 
  • Change your driver’s license. 

Certified Marriage License Copies by Mail

Complete the form and mail it with appropriate payment to receive certified copies of your marriage license by mail. 

Find more information about marriage requirements in RCW 26.04.