Marriage Licensing

Please follow the instructions below to apply for your marriage license. 

If you are unable to appear in person together, you can submit a notarized application by mail.
⚠ 3-Day Waiting Period  
Washington State has a mandatory 3-day waiting period. The 3-day waiting period cannot be waived.

The 3-day waiting period does not begin until you have purchased the license. The license is valid for 60 days from the issuance of the license.


Monday →    


Tuesday →    


Wednesday →    


Thursday →    


Friday →    


1. Fill out the application online. 

You can apply in-person or by mail. In-person is easier for most couples.

To apply in-person

  • Complete the online application. We have computers if you need.
  • Hit the apply button. 
  • No printed copy is required for in-person submissions.

To apply by mail

  • Complete the online application.
  • Hit the “Application Preview” button. The application will open in a new window. Please print the application. 
  • Close the new window and hit the “Apply” button.

If you don’t have a computer, please call for assistance. (253) 798-7435

All marriage applications are public record (RCW 26.04.170) and may be published in the local newspaper.

2. Submit your application and $72 fee.

Schedule an appointment at the top of this page.

The easiest way to complete the process is for the couple to come into our office together. Bring in government issued photo ID (both people must be 18) and the $72 fee.

You'll be given a Marriage License.

If you are applying via mail, both parties must sign the printed application in front of a Notary Public. Mail this notarized application along with the $72 check or money order.

Mail notarized application to:

Pierce County Auditor
Attn: Marriage License
2401 S. 35th St., Room 200
Tacoma, WA 98409

*Note: the license is valid for 60 days from the issuance of the license. 

  Call 253-798-7435 for Assistance 

3. Get married. 

Once you receive your marriage packet in the mail you can get married. Have your original marriage certificate signed by your witnesses, officiant, and yourself. 

4. Return signed marriage certificate and get certified copies. 

After you’re married, you MUST return the original, signed, marriage certificate to the Auditor’s Office. Return your certificate by mail or in-person, at the Pierce County Annex.
 Certified copies may be purchased for $3 each. You’ll need certified copies to:

  • Change your name with Social Security.
  • Apply for military benefits. 
  • Change your driver’s license.

 Mail signed marriage certificates to:

Pierce County Auditor
Attn: Marriage License
 2401 S. 35th St., Room 200
 Tacoma, WA 98409

Request Certified Marriage License Copies Online

Order copies online and have them mailed or pick them up.

Request Certified Marriage License Copies by Mail

Complete the form and mail it with appropriate payment to receive certified copies of your marriage license by mail. 

Find more information about marriage requirements in RCW 26.04.

 Appointment Recommended

Appointments will be served first. "Stand-by" tickets will be issued to walk in customers.

2401 S. 35th St., #200, Tacoma, WA 98409
Mon. - Fri. | 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Pierce County Auditor

2401 S 35th St, Rm 200, Tacoma, Washington