Any person or establishment that acquires animals (dogs, cats, birds, fish, rodents, reptilians, primates, insects and any/or all others) bred by others, whether as owner, agent or on consignment, sells or boards any species of animals and offers to sell such animals to the public.
- Any person keeping more than ten dogs and/or cats must provide kennel facilities.
- Kennel facilities are kennels, animal runs, enclosures, and/or any other building used for the keeping or housing of such dogs/cats. Kennel facilities shall comply with all zoning and code requirements, such as setbacks.
- Animals kept more than sixty days will be considered owned by the person housing the animal and must be licensed under PCC 6.04.020.
- Persons providing temporary housing must comply with PCC 5.24.030 F.
- Each license shall expire on December 31 of the year of issuance.
Pierce County Code Chapter 5
Chapter 16.52 RCW: PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS
Animal Welfare Act | National Agricultural Library
Please note first time applicants must obtain a development permit from Pierce County Planning and Public Works. For more information please contact PPW at (253) 798-3739 or review Pierce County Code 2.05.040. View information on their fees.
Animal Business Application
Animal Business Renewal
Pet Shops in Pierce County
In 2021, legislation passed that prohibited the retail sales of cats and dogs, with the exception of retail pet stores selling dogs prior to July 25, 2021. The Pierce County Auditor’s Office licenses one pet shop (Puppyland) that meets this criteria.
Effective Jan. 1, 2023, Pierce County Code was implemented that required the pet shop to ensure breeder compliance with state law (RCW 16.52.310), addressed regulations for advertising and disclosure requirements, and outlined violations in order to promote the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens and animals in Pierce County.
Effective July 23, 2023, state law now requires the pet shop to ensure the same breeder compliance as the County’s code, removed the grandfathering language for the maximum amount of breeding dogs, eliminated financing, and added more restrictive limitations for violations.
The Auditor’s Office will conduct inspections of Puppyland every month during 2023. The reports are posted here.
- January 2023 Puppyland Inspection
- January 2023 Puppyland Inspection - Revised 6/20/2023
- February 2023 Puppyland Inspection
- February 2023 Puppyland Inspection - Revised 6/20/2023
- March 2023 Puppyland Inspection
- March 2023 Puppyland Inspection - Revised 6/20/2023
- April 2023 Puppyland Inspection
- April 2023 Puppyland Inspection - Revised 6/20/2023
- May 2023 Puppyland Inspection
- June 2023 Puppyland Inspection
- July 2023 Puppyland Inspection
- July 2023 Puppyland Inspection - Revised 9/26/2023
- August 2023 Puppyland Inspection
- August 2023Puppyland Inspection - Revised 9/26/2023
- September 2023 Puppyland Inspection
- October 2023 Puppyland Inspection
|Business License Fees||Fee Amount