Reduce flooding by keeping storm drains clear

Fall brings wet weather and falling leaves, increasing the potential for flooding along county roadways.

You can help reduce flooding on our roadways by picking up yard waste on your property and making sure nearby storm drains are free of leaves.

Take action

You can take the following actions to help keep storm drains clear:

  • Pick up leaves and other yard waste from your property and put it in yard waste bins for pick up.
  • If it can be done safely, remove leaves and other debris from storm drains with a rake.
  • Find a list of local facilities that accept yard waste and leaves, often free of charge, by viewing the Yard Waste page.
  • Call (253) 798-6000 or visit if the storm drain is on a Pierce County roadway with high traffic volume or limited sight distance for vehicles, the blockage can't be cleared or the roadway is flooded.
  • Call (253) 798-6000 or visit if flooding is occurring along a river, creek, or pond in unincorporated Pierce County.

Residents in cities and towns should contact their local public works department to report flooding or storm drain problems.

Contact Us
Send a message arrow
Phone: (253) 798-6000
7:30 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
4812 196th St. E
Spanaway, WA 98387