Supported Employment Services 

Supported Employment Services Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  1. What will my supported employment services look like?
    • Supported Employment includes multiple stages that will collect information about your work skills, develop opportunities in the community, and support you to be successful at work. You will get to choose a contracted Employment Provider to support you through the entire process and will have as much ongoing support as you need to stay successful and grow in your career. 
      • Discovery includes activities to learn about your skills, interests, preferences, and factors important to your success. This may also include assessment activities where you sample different jobs, tasks, and environments.
      • Job Development includes support to research and develop community job opportunities. Your Employment Provider will work with you and on your behalf to research businesses in the community that could benefit from your skills and reach out to those businesses to advocate for you. Job development may also include preparation like writing a resume, practicing interview questions, taking videos and pictures to demonstrate your skills, and gathering letters of reference. As opportunities are identified, your Employment Provider will support you through interviews, working interviews, negotiating tasks and schedules, and other steps involved with getting hired.
      • Job Coaching is support you receive at work to learn your job. This can include training, building accommodations, creating tools to help make your job easier, helping you understand your job, and offering support to help you meet your employer’s expectations. As you become comfortable at your job, your Employment Provider will spend less time with you at work or allow your coworkers and managers to offer needed support. You can receive as much support as you need to be successful, but it is the goal for you to work as independently as possible. As additional training and advocacy needs arise, your Employment Provider can step back in to offer extra support.
  2. Am I eligible for services?
    • Supported employment services are available to clients of the Developmental Disabilities Administration who are interested in working.
  3. I’m interested! How do I get started?
    • If you are a client of the Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA), call your case manager and tell them you are interested in employment. They will give you information about the Employment Providers you can select from to support you.
    • Call and interview different Employment Providers to determine who you think can best support you.
    • If you are not a client of DDA, start by applying for services, start by applying for services here.
    • If you are not eligible for DDA but still interested in receiving employment support, apply for services with the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) here.

Click here for service providers 

Click here for additional resources