Home Maintenance

The Pierce County Aging and Disability Resource Center provides information as a help to consumers. We do not recommend or endorse any business. Consumers should always ask for references and proof of professional licensing.

Steps To Follow Before Hiring Someone

  • Call the Department Of Labor and Industries at 596-3814
    • Check license status and complaint history for licensed contractors
  • Call the Business License Office at 798-7445 to find out if they have a business license
  • Request and check references
  • Get at least three bids and never pay for a bid
  • Pay no money until the job is finished
  • Most home repairs require permits and inspection
    • If you live in the City of Tacoma, call 591-5030
    • If you live in Pierce County, call the Development Center at 798-3739
    • For Tacoma Public Utilities Electrical permits, call 502-8277
  • Call Washington state patrol at (360) 705-5100 to obtain a criminal background check
    • Cost: $10
  • Call the attorney general's consumer protection line at 1 (800) 551-4636 to check or file complaints
  • Call the Master Builder's association at (253) 272-2112 to make sure a builder is one of their members

For Seniors Looking for Work or if You Want to Hire a Senior

  • Tacoma / Pierce County Employment and Training Consortium: (253) 591-5450
  • Older Worker Program / Tacoma Goodwill: (253) 272-5166

Free Home-Maintenance Programs for Eligible Participants

City of Tacoma Residents

  • Call individual programs to check on income eligibility guidelines
  • For low-income, homeowner, senior citizens

Minor Home Repair

  • Ph: (253) 591-7020
  • Plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofing, glass, sewer, furnace repair. Low-income homeowners.

Major Home Repair

  • Ph: (253) 591-5236
  • For repairs costing more than $400 such as roof, wheelchair ramp, etc.

Housing Rehabilitation Loans

  • Ph: (253) 591-5230
  • For repairs that will bring a house up to minimum code requirements. Up to $65,000 in repairs, if the house is valuable enough to offset loan. Some deferred loans also available.

Tacoma CARES - Building and Land Use

  • Ph: (253) 591-5001
  • Decayed structure removal, some repairs. Elimination of decaying garages, fences and outbuildings. For low income ($23,150 / year for 1) elderly or disabled

MDC Weatherization Program


  • Ph: (253) 593-2336
  • The Weatherization Assistance Program is a state and federally funded program administered locally by community action agencies, housing authorities, and local government entities. Designed for qualifying low-income residents within the city limits of Tacoma, this program provides access to services that will improve energy conservation, including insulation and furnace repairs.

MDC Energy Assistance Program


  • Ph: (253) 572-5557
  • Program provides a one-time per program-year grant to assist eligible low-income households with heating costs. Applicants must live within the city of Tacoma and meet the income guidelines.

Tacoma Public Utilities Energy Efficiency Grant


  • Ph: (253) 502-8363
  • Decayed structure removal, some repairs. Elimination of decaying garages, fences and outbuildings. For low income ($23,150 / year for 1) elderly or disabled

Pierce County Home Weatherization Program


  • Ph: (253) 798-4400
  • The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) enables low-income families to reduce their energy bills by installing insulation in walls, floors, and ceilings, around ducts and pipes, around water heaters, and near the foundation and sill, making their homes more energy efficient. Funds are used to improve the energy performance of dwellings families in need, using the most advanced technologies and testing procedures available in the housing industry.

Pierce County Home Repair Program


  • Ph: (253) 798-4400
  • Home-repair services are available to address emergency health and safety issues for eligible owner occupied households.

USDA Rural Development Home Repair Loans and Grants

  • Ph: (253) 845-0553
  • 1011 E. Main St.
    Suite 106
    Puyallup, WA 98373-3796
  • Must own or be buying home, live in it, be unable to get other financing, live in a rural area, be low income ($15,150 / year for 1). Up to $7,500 available, 1 percent interest loans, some grants available.

For Low-Income Residents of Tacoma and Pierce County

Volunteer Chore Services (operated by Catholic Community Services)

  • Ph: (253) 502-2741
  • Light housework, essential transportation, laundry, shopping, yard work, minor household repairs and more. For low-income, elderly and disabled persons.
  • Website

Paint Tacoma-Pierce Beautiful (Deadline April 1 Each Year)

  • Ph: (253) 426-1516
  • Low-income homeowner ($1,813 / month for 1 person and $2071 / month for 2 persons), senior (age 62+) or disabled. Must occupy home. Homes are painted, some minor exterior repair and brush trimming included. Deadline is April 1. Contact Associated Ministries in February or March at 383-3056 for more information and application.
  • Website

Other Resources

  • Telephone book yellow pages: 'Housecleaning,' 'Maid & Butler's Service,' 'Home Improvements,' 'Gutters,' 'Roof Cleaning,' 'Handy person Service,' 'Lawn & Grounds Maintenance,' 'Gardeners'
  • Classified ads in local and Senior Scene newspapers
  • Ask neighbors, friends and family members for names of places / individuals they use

The Aging and Disability Resource Center provides this list as a convenience to consumers. We do not recommend or endorse any business. Consumers should ask for references and proof of professional licensing.