Residential Side Sewer Conservation Loan Program
Sewer problems are often caused by trouble in your side sewer line. If your side sewer needs repair or replacement, you may be eligible for a low-interest sewer conservation loan. Pierce County Planning and Public Works Sewer Division offers low-interest loans with terms up to 10 years to residential property owners for qualifying side sewer conservation projects.
- Your home must be located within the boundaries of the Pierce County sewer service area. Check your sewer bill or click here to view our sewer service area map.
- You must have an existing single or multi-family residential property.
New construction is not eligible.
- You must meet Conservation Loan eligibility requirements.
(See box to the right).
- Click here to see what repair types qualify for this program.
- Identify the cost of your project with a licensed contractor from Pierce County's registered sewer contractors list. It is best to get at least three bids. You can choose a contractor from the list here.
- Complete and return the application form and other requested documents.
Click here for an application.
- Pierce County collects a non-refundable fee of $250 with your application.
- Pierce County conducts a real property assessment.
- Pierce County reviews the application and makes a decision on the loan.
- Pierce County notifies the applicant on approval, and the loan documents are prepared.
- Completed, signed loan application
- Completed, signed release form
- Proof of Income. This may be a copy of recent pay stubs (minimum of two), direct deposit records for pension or social security, etc.
- Copy of recorded property deed.
- Copy of all sewer repair work bid estimates from licensed contractors.
- One form of identification.
Additional documents needed if:
- The owner of the property is deceased: a copy of the recorded death certificate is required (available from Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department, Office of Vital Statistics).
- The property owners are divorced: a copy of the recorded dissolution
stating the applicant was awarded the property is required (available from Pierce County Clerk’s Office).
- The property owner is remarried: a copy of the marriage certificate is required (available from Pierce County Auditor’s Office)
- The property is in trust: a copy of the power of attorney must be recorded with the Pierce County Auditor.
- The property is professionally managed: a copy of the property management agreement is required.
- The property was short-platted or subdivided since purchase by borrower: a recorded copy of the documents.
Other Items ConsideredPierce County Sewer Division staff will verify:
- Real Property Tax Assessment (includes proper vesting of the title, property tax status, etc.)
- Applicant’s sewer account history and financial standing with the utility
Loan Terms and Fees
- Loans may be made for up to 90% of the estimated project cost.
- The maximum loan amount is $10,000.
- The current interest rate on this loan is 2.42%.
- Loans must be secured by lien on the project property.
- Loan repayments are made monthly and are not part of the regular sewer bill.
- Application Fee ……..$ 250.00
- Recording Fee ..........$ TBD
- Lien Release..............$ TBD