Veterans Treatment Court Program Criteria

Veterans Treatment Court Eligibility

  • You are either a current or former member of the Armed Forces, including the National Guard or Reserves.

    • If you are a former service member you must be eligible for benefits through the VA. Assistance with determining eligibility will be provided by the VJO.

    • If you are a current service member you must be available* to participate for at least 14 months. (* Being active duty does not exclude you from participation in the VTC; however, your command staff will need to ensure that you will be “reasonably available” to participate in the program.) Current member; You must disclose any Permanent Change of Station or deployment orders.

  • You must be currently residing in the State of Washington and able to comply with the program requirements.

  • You cannot have any other criminal charges or holds that will interfere with treatment.

  • You must agree to participate in and be subject to the rules, regulations and sanctions of VTC.

  • You must be amenable to treatment and motivated to participate in the program.

  • You must agree to sign a limited release of information to allow communication for purposes of VTC between the VA/medical professional/treatment providers and the Pierce County District Court Probation for the duration of the program.


  • Attend scheduled court reviews

    • Appear at all court hearings

    • Be honest

  • Attend probation appointments and comply with the terms of supervision

  • Complete a drug and alcohol evaluation and/or a mental health evaluation as recommended and follow all recommendations made by your selected treatment provider. Examples of treatment may include but are not limited to:

    • Inpatient treatment

    • Outpatient Treatment

    • Sober support meetings

  • Participate in prosocial activities including but not limited to employment, community service or participate in community events

If the Veterans Treatment Court program sounds like a program that you or a family member may want to participate in, contact your attorney and inform them of your interest.