Information for Crime Victims


The prosecutor’s Victim-Witness Assistance Service provides information, referrals, crisis intervention, courtroom support, and escort to crime victims.

Para ver esta información en español, use el botón "Traducir" en la esquina superior derecha de la página.

Для просмотра этой информации на русском языке используйте кнопку «Перевести» в правом верхнем углу страницы.

이 정보를 한국어로 보려면 페이지 오른쪽 상단의 "번역"버튼을 사용하십시오.

Để xem thông tin này bằng tiếng Việt, vui lòng sử dụng nút "Dịch" ở góc trên bên phải của trang.

ដើម្បីមើលព័ត៌មាននេះជាភាសាខ្មែរសូមប្រើប៊ូតុង "បកប្រែ" នៅជ្រុងខាងលើផ្នែកខាងស្តាំនៃទំព័រ។


Victims are notified by letter when a case has been charged and, upon request, are notified when court dates are scheduled. Victim Advocates can explain the criminal justice system and answer questions about a case. For case status, visit the Legal Information Network Exchange at


Victims in charged cases receive a Victim Impact Statement form. You can write about the emotional, financial and personal impact that a crime had on you and your family. The Victim Impact Statement is reviewed by the judge prior to sentencing and becomes part of the court record. A Victim Advocate can assist you in preparing this statement. In addition, victims can address the court at sentencing, at the judge’s discretion.


The Court can order a defendant to pay restitution as part of their sentence. Restitution is money the offender pays to reimburse a victim for medical bills, property damage, and other financial losses resulting from the crime. Documentation of your losses will be requested in charged cases, and this information will be presented to the judge. Restitution payments are paid by the defendant to the Clerk of the Court (253) 798-7460. The Clerk then sends a check to the victim.  It is important that the Clerk’s Office be advised of any change in your address.

Victims may also pursue their losses in civil court by contacting a private attorney or Small Claims Court (253) 798-7487.


Crime Victim Compensation is a state program that provides financial, medical and mental health benefits to victims of violent crime. This agency helps pay expenses not covered by the victim’s insurance, as well as wage loss and temporary or permanent disability. There is no provision in this law to compensate victims for stolen or damaged property. Crime Victims Compensation forms may be requested by calling 1-800-762-3716 or may be obtained from the Victim/Witness Assistance Service. Advocates are available to help you complete the application form.


In some cases, the Court may order a defendant to submit to an HIV antibody test. The victims in those cases may obtain the test results by contacting the Tacoma-Pierce Co. Health Dept. (253) 798-3805.


Victim Advocates are familiar with social service agencies in the community that can assist you; they are available to help you and make referrals as needed.


When an offender is held at the Pierce County Jail, victims may receive updates through the VINE program. VINE is a free, anonymous, computer-based service where anyone can see if an offender is currently in custody. In addition, victims may choose to register for an automated call, text, or email when an inmate is released. To reach VINE, call 1-877-846-3492.


The state operates two notification systems. Victims or witnesses in certain felony crimes may request notification if a prisoner is released, is transferred to work release, or if they escape. This is a Dept. of Corrections program, 1-800-322-2201.

A similar program by the Dept. of Social & Health Services tracks individuals residing in a state psychiatric hospital, a state juvenile rehabilitation facility, or the Special Commitment Center for sexually violent predators, 1-800-422-1536


A victim’s property that has been held as evidence may be released 30 days after the offender is sentenced, if no appeal is filed. You may contact the appropriate law enforcement agency to arrange for the release of property.



Victims’ rights are a priority for our office.

You have a right to accurate information about your case and a right to be heard at sentencing. Our victim/witness advocates are available to provide information about cases, answer questions, and give emotional support.

Our deputy prosecutors, victim/witness advocates, and legal assistants are all here to serve the community. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

Mary Robnett
Prosecuting Attorney