Doing Business with the Federal Government
As the largest public purchasing entity in Pierce County and the Puget Sound area (Army, Air Force,Navy, Corp of Engineers, SBA, etc.), the federal government offers local companies an opportunity to sell goods and services.

To win an award you must be prepared and patient. Setting the stage for success is crucial.

Basic Requirements
To do business with the Federal Government each business must satisfy the following basic requirements:
  • Data Universal Numbering System (D-U-N-S) - This service will provide your business with a 'DUNS' number, which is issued by Dun and Bradstreet (D&B). You will need the D-U-N-S number BEFORE you can take the next step, which is to register with the CCR database. Go online or call at (866) 705-5711.
  • System for Award Management (SAM)-this replaces the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) and Online Representations & Certifications (ORCA). If you were registered with CCR and ORCA your data was automatically moved to SAM. However, you will need a new password to access the system. Go to https://www.sam.gov/portal/public/SAM/ for additional information and instructions on how to enter the portal. You will still require a DUNS number.
  • Note
    Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTAC) help companies win government contracts. Currently, the Pierce County PTAC contact is Darrell Sundell or you can phone him at P: (206) 878-3710 ext. 5146. You can find more information about the PTAC program online.
    Need to contact a federal purchasing official?