What is Jury Duty?
Jury duty is one week or until dismissed by the court. Your term of jury service is generally one week. However, this time may be extended if you are selected for a trial which may take longer than your original service requirement. Once you are assigned to a jury panel, you will stay on that case until the court releases you from your commitment.
If you cannot make this commitment, you will need to provide a letter from your employer, health care provider or let us know of other reasons. Please visit our Reasons for Being Excused from Jury Duty page for more information.
Your Time Commitment
We are asking if you can make the commitment to be on a trial that could last a few days, a week or more.
- Orientation and voir dire may last all day, or possibly 2 to 3 days.
- Cases are 2 to 10 days long on average.
- Jurors come in Monday through Thursday.
- You are only here on a Friday if you are in deliberation.
- Once again, plan to be here most of the week or even into next week.
- Listen carefully when you are in court for the time commitment expected for that specific trial.
We need to know who is coming and who is excused. Here are just a few reasons why you may not be able to serve, or if we need to provide an ASL interpreter so you can serve:
- Due to work reason or not paid by your employer while at jury duty.
- You have or care for someone with health issues.
- You do not live in Pierce County any longer.
- You have dependent care.
- You are not a citizen.
- You do not speak and understand English well enough to sit on a court case.
- You are hearing impaired and an American Sign Language Interpreter is needed.
Location - 930 Tacoma Ave S, Tacoma, WA 98402
- Jury service occurs on the first floor in the County-City Building in Room 123 located at 930 Tacoma Avenue South, Tacoma, WA 98402.
- Jurors will be asked to report in small waves to ease congestion in the jury assembly room.
- Jurors should double check their reporting date, time, and Group Number on the RED & WHITE JURY SUMMONS to ensure correct reporting. If you have a blue card, please follow the instructions on the blue card.
- Public entrance to the County-City Building is limited to the 2nd floor entrance off of Yakima Avenue and Nollmeyer Lane. Until further notice, the 1st floor entrance on Tacoma Avenue S is closed to the public.
- Once you have gone through security screening, make your way to Room 123 on the 1st floor to be scanned-in by jury staff.
What time do you need to be available?
Regular Court hours are 8 am to 4:30 pm. However, circumstances can change when you are expected to be here. We will always provide information for when you are expected.
We are bringing in several waves of jurors in smaller groups, please double check the correct time when your group number has been requested to appear.
- On the Friday before your report date, after 5:00 p.m., check our web – Next Day Call Groups for when, and if, your group is called to come in.
- The first day your group is called in: Come before 7:30 a.m. for best parking. The building opens for jurors only at 7:30 a.m. You need to have the Juror paperwork with you.
- Orientation starts at 8:00 a.m. – Be ready
- Give yourself extra time to find the correct location, where the parking is, time to walk the block (or more) into the building, come through security, use the restroom and find a seat in the Jury Orientation Area.