Natural Disaster Assistance

Disaster Assistance Banner

We know that property damage resulting from a natural disaster is an especially stressful event, so we are here to help residents in unincorporated Pierce County navigate the permitting process to repair or rebuild when they are ready to do so. 

If you have a property in unincorporated Pierce County that has been affected by a natural disaster (fire, flood, storm damage), please fill out the form below with some preliminary information. We will promptly follow-up with next steps for efficient permit processing and help you identify any special circumstances you may encounter. We will be adding supplemental information and resources to this site in the coming days, so please visit us again or, if you do not have reliable internet access, call us at (253) 798-3739, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Our goal is to make the road to recovery a smooth one by helping our neighbors in their time of need.

Contact Us

Phone: (253) 798-3160
Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Email: [email protected]
Submit a question to the Development Center

Pierce County Natural Disaster Assistance Form

Additional Resources

Department of Emergency Management 
Phone: (253) 798-6595 

Slope Stability FAQs

What are methods for minimizing soil erosion caused by loss of vegetation from fire?

  • Installation of Mulch
  • Installation of temporary or permanent seeding 
  • Installation of sod 
  • Installation of wattles 
  • Installation of silt fence 
  • Leave root structure of burned vegetation in place

What type of contractor do I need to call to install erosion control?
Landscaping contractors, hydroseeding contractors or general contractors that specialize in earthwork. These contractors will have expertise in erosion control and reestablishing vegetation. 

At what point might I need to get a permit to install erosion control measures?  

  • If you are planning to disturb or work on an area of 7000 square feet or more. 
  • If you are planning to disturb the ground using backhoes, bulldozers or other earth moving equipment. 
  • If you are planning to disturb or work on slopes steeper than 30 %. 
  • If you are adjacent to a creek, ravine or wetland. 

How can I confirm whether I need a permit?  

    Please fill out the form on this page and we will reach out to you and discuss your situation.

I live near a steep slope and am concerned about landslides now that the vegetation has burned.  What can I do?
Contact a consultant that specializes in geotechnical engineering to evaluate your property for risk potential. 

Slope Stability Resources

Mulching: Mulching soils provides immediate temporary protection from erosion. Mulch also enhances plant establishment by conserving moisture, holding fertilizer, seed, and topsoil in place, and moderating soil temperatures. There is an enormous variety of mulches that can be used.
More Information

Seeding: Seeding reduces erosion by stabilizing exposed soils with a well-established vegetative cover. This is one of the most effective methods of reducing erosion.
More information

Wattles: Wattles are TESC barriers consisting of straw, compost, or other material that is wrapped in biodegradable tubular plastic or similar encasing material. They reduce the velocity and can spread the flow of rill and sheet runoff, and can capture and retain sediment. Wattles
More Information

Silt Fence: Use of a silt fence reduces the transport of coarse sediment from a construction site by providing a temporary physical barrier to sediment and reducing the runoff velocities of overland flow.
More Information

Special Circumstances and FAQ

Hillside Erosion Control: If you are concerned about hillside erosion on your property as a result of wildfires or another natural disaster, please indicate this in the Natural Disaster Assistance Form so that we can help you address this issue.