Spanaway Lake Management District No. 1
About the DistrictSpanaway Lake Management District No.1 (District) was created by the Pierce County Council in 2021 as a pilot program in response to concerns raised by lakefront property owners. In 2021, property owners whose land abuts Spanaway Lake, or who have rights to use the lake, approved formation of the district via a simple majority vote.
The Surface Water Management (SWM) Division of Pierce County Planning and Public Works manage the district. The goal is to work with lake users to improve water quality, manage nuisance and invasive species, restore habitat, educate the public about lake water quality and management activities, and monitor the 250-acre lake.
Funding comes primarily from an annual charge assessed on all properties located within the district boundaries. The charge will raise between $50,000 and $100,000 annually during the pilot period (2021-26). The total charge per parcel is capped at $1,500 for private landowners. Pierce County Parks will pay a maximum of $19,160 annually for the Spanaway Park frontage.
Funds raised through the Lake Management District assessment charges will not be used to cover overhead costs associated with administration of the district by Pierce County staff. Staffing and administrative support will be funded through Surface Water Management Fees.
The district is also eligible to pursue grants and other alternative funding sources, as well as partnerships with additional government or private entities other than Pierce County to help achieve management goals.
Lake Management Activities
The Lake Management District was created to undertake lake improvement and maintenance activities. These include water quality and habitat improvement, invasive aquatic species and waterfowl management, other maintenance activities, monitoring and educational efforts. This is the first district of its kind in unincorporated Pierce County. Pierce County SWM is required to submit an annual plan to the Pierce County Council in August. The plan must identify proposed lake improvement and maintenance activities and charges to be assessed for the following calendar year. Activities included in the annual plan will be based on the best available data and recommendations from the Citizen Advisory Board, as well as input from partner agencies and lake users who reside outside of the district. The final annual plan will be available on this website following approval by Pierce County Council.
On Feb. 8, 2022, the Pierce County Council passed Resolution No. 2021-131 creating the Spanaway Lake Management District Citizen Advisory Board (Board). The purpose of the board is to represent the interests and concerns of lake residents and users as they relate to operations and management of the district. The board works with Pierce County SWM to make recommendations to the Pierce County Council regarding lake improvement and maintenance activities. Board members are appointed by the Pierce County Executive and confirmed by the Pierce County Council.
The seven-person board meets at least four times a year, provides an annual written report that identifies and proposes solutions to lake improvement and maintenance issues, and identifies the concerns of the public and district landowners. The board also reviews and comments on the annual lake management work plan drafted by Pierce County SWM for the Pierce County Council, and may assist with identifying funding sources for proposed activities and communicating with the public about planned activities or other concerns. Members generally serve four-year terms.
The Board shall consist of seven members who have demonstrated interest in Spanaway Lake in the areas of monitoring lake conditions, enhancing fish and wildlife habitats, improving water conditions for public use, supporting recreational and economic interests of lake users, and attaining the healthy and natural conditions of the lake. At least five of the members shall be lakefront property owners. In making appointments to the Board, the Executive is encouraged to consider applicants whose interests in Spanaway Lake are demonstrated by active participation in a nonprofit organization whose primary purpose is to promote improved lake conditions.
View Current Vacancies
Pierce County Council Legislation
- Resolution R2021-57 – Notice of Council Intent to Form the District
- Resolution R2021-94s – Submitting the Question of Creating the Spanaway Lake Management District to Affected Property Owners
- Ordinance 2021-84 – Ordinance Forming the Spanaway Lake Management District No. 1, and Establishing a Hearing Process
- Ordinance 2021-116 – Approving Rates and Charges Roll for Spanaway Lake Management District No. 1.
- Ordinance 2021-131 – Creating the Spanaway LMD Citizen Advisory Board and Adopting a New Chapter (2.41) of the Pierce County Code.
Lake Studies and Planning
- Spanaway Lake Management Plan, 2016. Prepared for Pierce County Public Works and Utilities by Brown and Caldwell. Due to document sizes, Appendix C and D are posted separately from the plan:
- Water Quality Assessment of Select Lakes in Washington State, 1998. Prepared by the Washington State Department of Ecology.
- Spanaway Lake Integrated Aquatic Vegetation Management Plan, 2020. Prepared for Pierce County and the Friends of Spanaway Lake by AquaTechnex
- Spanaway Lake Phosphorus Management Program, 2020. Prepared for Friends of Spanaway Lake by AquaTechnex.
- Video: Spanaway Lake 2021 Phosphorus Monitoring Project. Presented to Friends of Spanaway Lake by Herrera Environmental Consultants