Employee FAQ

Q: How do I apply for retirement?

A: You can apply via paper application (request from DRS) or you can apply through your DRS online retirement account.  

Q: When should I apply for retirement?

A: Your first step would be to obtain an estimate with DRS, once received you will want to put in your "application" with DRS at least 30-90 days. Keep in mind, there is potential for backlog, if you have your estimate and know your retirement date, it is in your best interest to apply once you have your dates or once dates are confirmed.

Q: When should I inform my department I am going to retire?

A: Per the Administrative Guidelines 3.30.404, a minimum two week written notice is required to separate in good standing. You are not required to provide notice any time sooner, however, letting your department and HR know once you have started your DRS paperwork can assist moving the process along smoothly.    

Q: What do I need to apply for retirement?

A: You will need the below items:

1) Your monthly benefit estimate from DRS. 

2) Your planned retirement date.

3) Any supporting documents for question on the application.

A: The application will ask you a series of questions and to provide some personal information, including:

  • your current marital status and whether any portion of your retirement has been awarded as part of a divorce or separation; 
  • the date you will separate from employment and date you will begin your retirement; 
  • whether you will choose the Single Life Benefit (Option 1) or take a reduced benefit to provide a survivorship option (Option 2, 3 or 4); 
  • the Social Security number and date of birth for any survivor or beneficiary selected; 
  • if you select a survivorship, a copy of a document that confirms their date of birth, such as a driver’s license or passport; 
  • federal income tax withholding – similar to when you start a new job and fill out a W-4, you will select “Married” or “Single” and the number of allowances. You can use this calculator to determine how much will be withheld;  
  • whether you would like to purchase anadditional supplementary annuity
  • routing and account number for your bank or credit union for direct deposit; payments will always be made on the last banking day of the month; 
  • if completing a paper application, your signature will need to be notarized; and 
  • if married and not providing a survivorship option to your spouse, your spouse will need to sign an acknowledgement and have their signature notarized.

Q: What do I need to do in regards to my workload once I turn in my retiring notice to my department?

A: Your supervisor/manager will work with you on any transitional processes needed.

Q: What do I need to do if I plan to take vacation during my last week before retiring?

A: You must get advanced approval from the Appointing Authority and Human Resources Director per Administrative Guidelines 3.72.050, E on Terminal Leave. You should also follow your departments process for requesting any type of leave.  

Q: What happens to my vacation and sick leave accruals?

A: You shall be paid your unused vacation time per the Administrative Guidelines 3.72.060.  You shall also be paid a certain amount of your unused sick time per the Administrative Guidelines 3.68.050.

Q: I don't want my sick balance to go into a VEBA account. Can I cash out instead?

A: No, every year VEBA is voted on between August through October. If you are a particular member of VEBA, you are mandated into the plan.  

Q: What do I need to do in regards to my benefits? 

A: PEBB offers retiree health and dental insurance to employees who were enrolled in PEBB during employment with the County. Teamsters does not offer retiree health insurance. Retiree forms must be received by Health Care Authority no later then 60 days after your employer coverage ends.

Q: Where can I get more information?

A: You can visit the DRS website and check out their FAQs for each retirement plan.