Eviction Updates

  • Stay in your unit and don't move out. Support is available for landlords and tenants if renters are still living in the unit.
  • You still must pay rent eventually. If you can afford your rent now, pay it. If you can't afford it, apply for rental assistance.
  • Communicate with your landlord, property manager and utility company. Many have information for assistance. 

If you’ve received a 14-day notice to vacate for nonpayment

  • Contact the Dispute Resolution Center immediately. You can reach an Eviction Resolution Specialist by phone or email: Eviction Resolution Program.  
  • You cannot be legally evicted for non-payment of rent without a court order, which requires first that the Center for Dispute Resolution issue a certificate to the court. It is imperative that you respond to all notices by their deadlines and respond to communication attempts from Center for Dispute Resolution.
  • For nonpayment evictions, tenant must receive:
    • 14-day pay or vacate notice; and
    • Eviction Resolution Pilot Program Notice (ERPP notice must also be delivered to the Center for Dispute Resolution).

If you received an Evictions Summons and Complaint...

If you received a Court Hearing...

  • Complete Tacomaprobono's online Client Intake Form (if you have not already done so)
  • Respond to the notice and show up at your court hearing. A legal representative from Tacomaprobono’s Housing Justice Project will be there to screen tenants who appear for their hearing without an attorney.
    • Under a new state law, if you are low-income and facing eviction, you are eligible for free attorney representation in your eviction case by the Housing Justice Project. Fill out a client intake form at the Housing Justice Project website.