Guardianships, Conservatorships, and Other Protective Arrangements
New Guardianship/Conservatorship Law Effective January 1, 2022 - RCW 11.130
- Helpful general information about the new adult guardianship and conservatorship law can be found at the Washington Courts website
- Finalization of guardianships filed before January 1, 2022, must be resolved by December 31, 2021.
- Unresolved guardianships as of December 31, 2021, will be required to file a Supplemental or Amended Petition to provide information to the Court in compliance with the new statute. Otherwise, the unresolved case may be dismissed at the scheduled mandatory court review hearing.
- Cases with orders appointing guardians entered before January 1, 2022, do not need to take any action until the first review hearing.
- At the review hearing the court may enter an Order on Guardianship/Conservatorship Review and issue new letters of office upon filing of an Acceptance of Appointment by the guardian/conservator.
- If at the review hearing a plan and report has been properly filed under the new statute RCW 11.130, the court may approve the plan and set a new review hearing one, two, or three years from the review hearing date.
- If at the review hearing a plan has not been properly filed under the new statute RCW 11.130, the court may do the following:
- A new date will be set in 120 days to review the guardian's/conservator's plan.
- The guardian/conservator must file the new plan within 90 days after the review hearing for the court to review the plan prior to the 120 day review hearing.
- Motions to convert a guardianship are heard by the assigned judge, they are not heard by commissioners.
- Judges will consider whether online lay guardian training will be required by the next review period.
- Guardianship/Conservatorship forms are available on the Washington State Courts Forms website. The most common forms that are needed for the court to properly review the case are as follows:
- Motion to Approve Guardian/Conservator's Report (GDN R 205)
- Notice of Hearing (GDN ALL 005)
- Declaration of Service (GDN ALL 007)
- Guardian/Conservator Plan (GDN R 102)
- Guardian/Conservator's Report (GDN R 204)
- Conservatorship Inventory (GDN R 201)
- Order Approving Guardian/Conservator's Report (GDN R 206)
- Acceptance of Appointment of Guardian/Conservator (GDN ALL 003)
- Petitions filed after January 1, 2022, are heard by Commissioners on their regular dockets following RCW 11.130.