Veterans Housing Options Group (VHOG)

veterans housing options

Veterans housing options group (vhog) - final

The Veterans Housing Options Group (VHOG) is for Veterans experiencing homelessness to learn about resources, get referred to Coordinated Entry and other veteran housing programs available in Pierce County.

Join us weekly for presentations on Wednesdays at 1 p.m. at Pierce County Human Services Soundview Building, in the Brekke Conference Room, located at 3602 Pacific Ave. Suite 200 in Tacoma.

After the presentations, you will have the opportunity to speak with a representative from some agencies to take the next step towards housing. Agencies include:

  • VA Puget Sound Health Care System
  • Catholic Community Services Supportive Services for Veteran Families 
  • Washington State Department of Veteran Affairs
  • WorkSource and more

Resources for Veterans Experiencing Homelessness in Pierce County
Coordinated Entry (first step)
Call 2-1-1

If you are homeless, call 2 2-1-1from any phone and ask them to enroll you in the Coordinated Entry System, so that your information can be shared with all the local housing programs for Veterans. If you are not homeless at this time, 2-1-1is still a great resource and can provide information about many different types of resources.

Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF)

Catholic Community Services (CCS) SSVF in Pierce County provides individuals

experiencing homelessness with short term financial and supportive assistance to obtain permanent market rate housing. 

Pierce County Veterans Assistance Program
Provides emergency assistance for qualified Veterans and family members for food, rent, utilities, medical and burial services. 
VA Homeless Engagement and Recovery Opportunity (HERO) Program
HERO is a whole-health focused residential treatment program for Veterans who are homeless and in need of assistance to address individualized goals focused on mental health, substance use, vocational pursuits, or other psychosocial needs that impact one’s well-being. If you have a VA provider, talk to them to explore this option.
VA Compensated Work Therapy (CWT)/Transitional Residence (TR) Program

CWT/TR is a back to work program for Veterans who are homeless. Services provided are transitional housing, transitional work or other CWT services and life skills training and referrals. If you have a provider, talk to them to explore this option.

View the full list of veterans resources here.