- Courts & Law
- District Court
- General Information
- Court Information
DISTRICT COURT NEWS & COVID-19
Visitors to the Pierce County-City Building:
To reduce wait times, visitors are encouraged to call (253) 798-7487 or contact us online through LiveChat. Payments can be made online, without coming into the courthouse. Click here Version OptionsCourt InformationHeadline DISTRICT COURT NEWS & COVID-19 DISTRICT COURT NEWS & COVID-19 DISTRICT COURT NEWS & COVID-19 DISTRICT COURT NEWS & COVID-19 updated 1/5/2022 DISTRICT COURT NEWS & COVID-19 updated 1/5/2022 to make a payment online. Court customer service counters are open for walk-up transactions if needed. Please do not arrive for your hearing or appointment more than 30 minutes early.
Mask Requirement and Social Distancing:
Face coverings and social distancing are optional in Pierce County District Court Facilities. Masks and hand sanitizer will continue to be provided. To protect staff and all court participants, please do not come to the courthouse if you are sick.
Virtual & In-Person Hearings:
Courtrooms are open for public viewing. The following hearings will be held virtually and live streamed on our webpage: Infractions (excluding interpreter matters in courtroom 607) and afternoon in-custody matters in courtrooms 543 and 603. Please refer to your court documents for the location of your hearing. If you have any questions about the location of your hearing, please contact us through LiveChat.
Pierce County District Court Probation Services may be held in-person, by phone, or virtually. All individuals currently on probation are expected to stay in contact with their probation officer and be available for appointments as scheduled. Please contact your probation officer with any questions.
Court Resource Center:
The District Court Resource Center is open for in-person services. Please contact the CRC for more information (253) 798-7631. What is the CRC?
**District Court requests that citizens of Pierce County follow the recommendations of the Washington State Department of Health, the Tacoma Pierce County Health Department and the Governor in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19. To protect staff and all court participants, please do not come to the courthouse if you are sick.**
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN COMING TO THE COURTHOUSE
Please be prepared to go through a metal detector, security screening prior to entering the Pierce County-City Building. District Court's Customer Service Counter is located on the 2nd floor, next to the elevators in room 239. Probation is located on the 6th floor (room 610) and courtrooms are located on floors 5, 6, 8, and 9.
Courtroom Dress & EtiquetteSince all District Court proceedings are digitally recorded, courtrooms must be quiet. Everyone is asked to be quiet and respectful of those whose proceedings are being heard. The court does not provide childcare. Children who become noisy will be required to stay in the hall, outside the courtroom with adult supervision.
Specific Rules & RegulationsBe Respectful - You must be quiet in the courtroom when observing. Never use profanity. Always be polite when speaking. Speak clearly and loudly enough for the court reporter to hear - everything you say is being recorded.
No Weapons - Never bring a gun, knife or other weapon into the courthouse. You may be searched before entering the courtroom and courthouse. If you are appearing on the domestic violence docket, you can expect to be searched.
Pierce County District Court Emergency Orders
- General Order 2020-02_Court Operation COVID19_03162020
- General Order 2020-03_03162020
- General Order 2020-04 Amended2_03272020
- General Order 2020-05_Authorizing Virtual Hearings_04292020
- General Order 2020-06_Extending to June_04292020
- General Order 2020-07_05062020
- General Order 2020-08_06012020
- General Order 2020-09_PCDC Emergency Closure_06042020
- General Order 2020-10_Revising 2020-03_06262020
- General Order 2020-12 Social Distancing_07202020
- General Order 2020-13_Court Operations_11042020
- General Order 2020-14_Suspending Jury Trials_11232020
- General Order 2020-15_Suspending Jury Trials_12102020
- General Order 2021-01_Suspending Jury Trials_01152021
- General Order 2021-01_Suspending Jury Trials Amended_02252021
- General Order 2021-02_Courtroom Appearances-Masking_08242021
- General Order 2022-01_Suspending Jury Trials_01052021
- General Order 2022-02_Suspending Jury Trials_01192022
- General Order 2022-03 _Mask Mandate-Open Court_04112022