Draft 2021 Report Public Review Update
Pierce County requests that city and town representatives and stakeholders (any individuals or groups) review and provide feedback on the following draft materials.
- View all the materials in an informational storymap (includes background information and instructions), or individually:
Staff is available for meetings to review the materials one-on-one or with stakeholder groups. Contact Jessica Gwilt at [email protected] or (253) 798-6924.
The County has coordinated with the Dept. of Commerce to allow more time to review the draft Buildable Lands Report after June 30 for quality control. A draft report was submitted to Commerce on June 30, with the intent to continue review and refinement of the inventory, assumptions, and capacity portions. Please coordinate with me as soon as possible if the following review periods need to be adjusted on a case-by-case basis due to scheduling conflicts/vacations, etc.
Updated/anticipated timeline for review:
- July 1-23 (final extended review): cities/towns and stakeholders to review and work with County staff to edit and finalize applicable report sections.
- July 26-30: County staff to incorporate final edits to report. County staff may reach out during this period to confirm edits/sections.
Buildable Lands Program
The Buildable Lands Program is an ongoing review and monitoring system required by the Growth Management Act (GMA). The County is the entity required to establish and oversee the program and coordinate Pierce County’s 23 cities and towns.
The County, in coordination with its cities and towns, is required to collect development data annually and provide a report on observed development and future capacity within the urban growth area (UGA) prior to the next GMA comprehensive plan periodic update.
Buildable Lands Report
The 2014 Pierce County Buildable Lands Report fulfills the ongoing reporting requirements stipulated in RCW 36.70A.215, referred to as Buildable Lands legislation.
The results of the 2014 analysis concludes that collectively, among all the jurisdictions, there continues to be an abundant amount of vacant and underutilized land to accommodate the adopted urban housing and employment targets for the County and its cities and towns.
2021 Buildable Lands Report Process
The 2021 Buildable Lands Report is currently underway and is funded by a grant from the Department of Commerce. Work is being completed by County staff and consultants from AHBL and ECONorthwest.
During this time, the County is requesting the following support from jurisdictions:
- Provide development (permit) data for 2013-2020 (see data collection template);
- Provide updated land use designation and zoning information (if applicable);
- Work with County staff to update development assumptions;
- Participate in the process to establish targets; and
- Review and comment on draft documents.
Pierce County also requests support from stakeholders in review of the draft report data and summaries as they become available.