The Auditor’s Office announces the opening of a special appointment period. Individuals are needed to write “Against” statements for the Nov. 5, 2013 General Election local voters’ pamphlet in the following districts:
• Wilkeson, Proposition No. 1 – Property Tax Levy for Emergency Medical Services
• Wilkeson, Proposition No. 2 – Levy Lid Lift for Fire and Emergency Services• Pierce County Fire Protection District No. 6 (Central Pierce Fire and Rescue) – Facilities Bonds
• Pierce County Fire Protection District No. 17 (South Pierce Fire and Rescue) – General Obligation BondsThese districts did not appoint committee members to prepare an “Against” statement for the local voters’ pamphlet. As a result, RCW 29A.32.280 directs the Auditor’s Office to seek out and appoint up to three members to form an “Against” committee.”
Appointment qualifications• Be a resident and registered voter of Pierce County for at least one year immediately prior to the appointment; and• Pledge to work cooperatively with other members of the committee; and
• Have ready access to email.
“Against” committee responsibilities• Read, understand and fulfill the obligations described in the Elections Guide for Jurisdictions – 2013, which includes:
o Committee appointments and participation; and o Word limits, format requirements, and deadlines for statements and rebuttals.
• Have your name appear in the local voters’ pamphlet and waive anonymity.
At least one committee member must be willing to submit phone number, email, or website address for publication in the local voters’ pamphlet.
If you agree to the above responsibilities, email your name and phone number to [email protected]. Appointments will be made in the order that the requests are received.
DeadlinesThe deadline to request a committee appointment is Aug. 9 at 4:30 p.m. (extended from the previously-published August 6 deadline).
The deadline to submit an “Against” statement is Aug. 9 at 4:30 p.m.
NOTE: Individuals requesting appointment on Aug. 9, must be prepared to submit the “Against” statement by email on the same day. The deadline can’t be extended.
Julie Anderson, Pierce County Auditor253-798-3188[email protected]
Mike Rooney, elections manager253-798-2148[email protected]