The Pierce County Auditor’s Office is opening a special appointment period to recruit individuals to write “against” statements for the August 4, 2015, primary election local voters’ pamphlet in the following districts:
“Against” committee members needed
- Town of Steilacoom - Property tax levy for emergency medical services
- Fire Protection District No. 3 (West Pierce Fire & Rescue) – Property tax levy for maintenance and operations
Fire Protection District No. 10 (Fife) – Property tax levy for emergency medical services
- Fire Protection District No. 16 (Key Peninsula Fire Department) – Lid lift maintaining property tax levy rate
- Fire Protection District No. 18 (Orting Valley Fire and Rescue) – Property tax levy for emergency medical services
- Fire Protection District No. 23 (Ashford/Elbe) – Property tax levy for emergency medical services
- Fire Protection District No. 26 (Greenwater) – Property tax levy for emergency medical services
These districts did not appoint committee members to prepare an “against” statement for the local voters’ pamphlet. As a result, RCW 29A.32.280 directs the auditor’s office to seek out and appoint up to three members to form the committee. District resolutions and explanatory statements can be found on our current election webpage.
- Be a resident and registered voter of Pierce County for at least one year immediately prior to the appointment; and
- Pledge to work cooperatively with other members of the committee; and
- Have ready access to email.
- Read, understand and fulfill the obligations described in the Elections Guide for Jurisdictions – 2015, which includes:
- Committee appointments and participation; and
- Word limits, format requirements, and deadlines for statements and rebuttals.
- Have your name appear in the local voters’ pamphlet and waive anonymity.
At least one committee member must be willing to submit phone number, email, or website address for publication in the local voters’ pamphlet. Those interested who agree to the above responsibilities can email a name and phone number to [email protected]. Appointments will be made in the order that the requests are received.
The deadline to request a committee appointment is May 12, 2015 at noon. The deadline to submit a committee statement is May 12, 2015 at 4:30 p.m.
NOTE: Individuals requesting appointment on May 12 must be prepared to submit the statement by email on the same day. The auditor’s office is unable to extend the deadline.
Julie Anderson, Pierce County Auditor
Mike Rooney, Elections Manager
Whitney Rhodes, Assistant to the Auditor