SUPERIOR COURT PRESS RELEASE
DECEMBER 16, 2021
**ADVISORY MESSAGE ONLY**
COMMUNICATING WITH PIERCE COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT DURING WINTER STORM EVENTS
As we enter the Winter months here in Washington State, Superior Court wanted to share with the public the ways to communicate with the court in the event of a winter storm event. The court understands that just because it is not dangerous to travel in and around the County City Building, there may be areas of Pierce County that are greatly affected. Generally, Superior Court functions at the County City Building, Remann Hall (Juvenile Court) and Western State Hospital will be open normal business hours during a winter storm event. Not all departments may be open during those times, depending on driving/weather conditions, but the court will be open. Judicial Officers understand not everyone can make their scheduled court time, so they have the intention of being flexible.
If you feel you cannot make your scheduled court time due to the severity of the weather event in your area, whether you are an attorney, defendant, witness, litigant, etc., you must call the court, using the contact information listed below:
- If you are currently in trial or scheduled for a hearing in front of a judge, contact the judicial assistant for that department.
- If you have a hearing set before the Commissioners, please contact the Commissioner Services Department at (253)798-6697.
- For all other criminal matters, contact Criminal Administration at (253)798-2988.
- For all matters at Remann Hall (Juvenile Court), please contact Juvenile Court Administration at (253)798-7900.
- For all matters at Western State Hospital, please contact the County Clerk’s Office at (253)756-2951.
Any impacts on Superior Court operations during an actual storm event will be communicated through our court/county website and the County’s social media accounts.
Pierce County Superior Court is the second largest Superior Court in the State of Washington and is proud to serve the citizens and visitors of Pierce County. The Court is staffed with 23 Judges and 9 Commissioners. There are three sites where court is held: The County-City Building at 930 Tacoma Ave S., Tacoma, Remann Hall Juvenile Court at 5501 6th Ave., Tacoma, and Western State Hospital (currently housed near the County City Building campus until at least April 1, 2022) at 9601 Steilacoom Blvd. SW, Lakewood. For more information, please visit our website at https://www.piercecountywa.gov/122/Superior-Court.
Chris Gaddis, Superior Court Administrator