News Flash Home
The original item was published from 4/25/2013 2:42:00 PM to 9/26/2013 12:05:02 AM.

News Flash

Prosecuting Attorney

Posted on: March 25, 2013

[ARCHIVED] Man Charged for Shooting Son & Daughter

TACOMA, WA – Today Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist charged Michael Patrick League, 69, with Murder in the First Degree and Attempted Murder in the First Degree. On March 24, 2013, the defendant shot his son, Dennis League, 46, and daughter, Danielle Faucett, 43. Later that day, his daughter died, while his son remains on life support and is not expected to survive. His son’s six and seven-year-old boys were present in the house but unharmed.

"Our hearts go out to Dennis League’s two young boys, who are now with Child Protective Services,” said Prosecutor Mark Lindquist.

The defendant and his wife shared a home with their daughter, son, and the son’s six and seven-year-old boys. In the early morning of March 24, 2013, the defendant determined that killing his son, daughter, and himself was the only one way to resolve family issues. About an hour later, while the household was asleep, he armed himself with his .22 caliber handgun. He entered his daughter's bedroom, covered her head with a pillow, and shot her in the head. He then went downstairs, where his son was asleep on the couch, covered his head with the same pillow, and shot him in the head.

At about 3:27 a.m., the defendant called 911 and stated that he "shot his son and daughter in the head" and he "had committed a father's worst sin." He said his son was still moaning and he wanted to shoot him again. He was still armed and intended to shoot himself. Puyallup Police arrived at the residence and convinced the defendant to exit his home. He was arrested.

Inside the home, officers found Dennis League and Danielle Faucett in different rooms of the house. Both suffered gunshot wounds to the head. They were breathing, but unresponsive, and were transported to the trauma center at Tacoma General Hospital. The defendant's wife was apparently unaware of the shooting. She told police that awhile ago the defendant said, "I should just shoot 'em, shoot us all." She did not take the statement seriously at the time.

The two grandsons were found upstairs, asleep, and unharmed. They were transported to the Puyallup Police station, and are now with Child Protective Services.

The defendant was arraigned today and pled not guilty. Bail was set at $2 million. His next court date is scheduled for May 2, 2013. Charges are only allegations and a person is presumed innocent unless he or she is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

For more information, please contact Kelly Kelstrup at (253) 798-7792, [email protected].

Facebook Twitter Email