News Flash Home
The original item was published from 5/3/2013 2:21:19 PM to 11/4/2013 12:05:01 AM.

News Flash

Prosecuting Attorney

Posted on: May 3, 2013

[ARCHIVED] Man Charged for Killing Son and Daughter

TACOMA, WA – Today Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist charged Michael Patrick League, 69, with two counts of Murder in the First Degree. On March 24, 2013, the defendant shot his son, Dennis League, 46, and daughter, Danielle Faucett, 43. Later that day, his daughter died, while his son remained on life support. On March 25th the defendant was charged with one count of murder and one count of attempted murder. Dennis League died several days later which resulted in the filing of the second murder charge.

The defendant and his wife shared a home with their daughter, son, and the son’s six and seven-year-old boys. In the early morning of March 24, 2013, the defendant determined that killing his son, daughter, and himself was the only one way to resolve family issues. About an hour later, while everyone was asleep, he armed himself with his .22 caliber handgun. He entered his daughter's bedroom, covered her head with a pillow, and shot her in the head. He then went downstairs, where his son was asleep on the couch, covered his head with the same pillow, and shot him in the head.

At about 3:27 a.m., the defendant called 911 and stated that he "shot his son and daughter in the head" and he "had committed a father's worst sin." He said his son was still moaning and he wanted to shoot him again. He was still armed and intended to shoot himself. A 911 dispatcher was able to keep the defendant on the line until Puyallup Police arrived at the residence. He was convinced to exit his home and the defendant was arrested.

Inside the home, officers found Dennis League and Danielle Faucett in different rooms of the house. Both suffered gunshot wounds to the head. They were breathing, but unresponsive, and were transported to the trauma center at Tacoma General Hospital. The defendant's wife was apparently unaware of the shooting. She told police that awhile ago the defendant said, "I should just shoot 'em, shoot us all." She did not take the statement seriously at the time.

The two grandsons were found upstairs, asleep, and unharmed. They were transported to the Puyallup Police station, and then to Child Protective Services.

Charges are only allegations and a person is presumed innocent unless he or she is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

For more information, please contact Kelly Kelstrup at (253) 798-7792, [email protected].

Facebook Twitter Email