News Flash Home
The original item was published from 6/3/2013 3:01:27 PM to 12/4/2013 12:05:01 AM.

News Flash

Prosecuting Attorney

Posted on: June 3, 2013

[ARCHIVED] Man Charged for Killing while Fleeing Police in Stolen Car

TACOMA, WA – Today Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist charged Brian Todd James Sicade, 22, with Murder in the Second Degree, Vehicular Homicide, Possession of a Stolen Vehicle, Attempting to Elude a Pursuing Police Vehicle, and Driving with a Suspended License in the Third Degree. On February 4, 2013, the defendant was fleeing police in a stolen vehicle on I-5 when he crashed and killed his passenger. The defendant was arraigned today in Pierce County Superior Court and bail set at $750,000.

"The defendant senselessly turned a misdemeanor into murder when he chose to speed away from police and eventually, predictably, crashed,” said Prosecutor Lindquist. "The defendant will be held fully accountable."

On February 4, 2013 at about 11:30 p.m., Auburn Police Department officers started to follow a stolen white Monte Carlo driving westbound on State Route 18 near Booth Bridge. Police followed the Monte Carlo at approximately 80 mph as it exited from westbound SR 18 to southbound Interstate 5. Officers pulled in behind the car and activated their emergency lights and siren.

The driver of the stolen car, Brian Sicade, responded to the emergency lights and sirens by accelerating to approximately 100 mph. Officers pursued the speeding vehicle southbound on I-5, weaving through traffic. Just prior to the Port of Tacoma Road exit, the defendant moved to the far right and passed vehicles on the shoulder at speeds later estimated to be between 105 mph and 115 mph. The defendant then crossed all lanes of southbound I-5 and crashed into the cable barrier and guard rail on the south side of the freeway.

Both occupants of the vehicle, Sicade and passenger Victor Wilson, were ejected from the car. Auburn Police Officers immediately stopped, blocked the freeway, called for medical aid and requested Washington State Patrol to respond to the scene. Officer Powell went to Wilson and noted that he was unresponsive. Officer Powell rendered first aid until fire and medical personnel arrived on scene and took over. Mr. Wilson never regained consciousness and was declared brain dead at St. Joseph's Hospital on February 6, 2013. Medical records and autopsy results show Mr. Wilson suffered "severe traumatic brain injury without meaningful chance of recovery."

Officer Jones contacted Sicade who wanted to get up and leave but the officer told him to stay put because medical aid was on the way. The defendant had an outstanding bench warrant and his license was suspended. The defendant was transported to the hospital. At the hospital a Washington State Patrol trooper spoke with Sicade and could smell the odor of intoxicants, noticed his eyes were bloodshot and he was being irrational and at times aggressive. A blood test revealed the defendant's alcohol level to be 0.15. During a subsequent visit to Harborview Medical Center, Sicade admitted he was the driver of the vehicle.

Charges are only allegations and a person is presumed innocent unless he or she is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

For more information, please contact Kelly Kelstrup at (253) 798-7792, [email protected].

Facebook Twitter Email