Do I need a lawyer to represent me in a child support case?
People can either represent themselves or hire an attorney to do so. Public defenders may be appointed to the obligated parent in contempt cases because they face the possibility of jail time if they do not pay their child support. The Tacoma Pierce County Bar Association has free legal clinics and a lawyer referral service that can provide assistance finding a lawyer. ( The Pierce County Superior Court Clerk has domestic relations facilitators who assist parties without lawyers for a small fee. For an appointment, call (253)798-3627. The required forms for family law cases can also be found online at

Show All Answers

1. How do I get child support for my kids?
2. What kinds of child support cases does the Prosecutor's Office handle?
3. How can I have the Prosecutor open a case for me?
4. Do I need a lawyer to represent me in a child support case?
5. How do I get custody or visitation rights?
6. Will the Prosecutor work on divorce or non-parental custody cases?
7. How is child support calculated?
8. Can I keep my information confidential?
9. Can I get genetic testing done to see who the father is?
10. How can I be the parent and have to pay child support when I never had genetic tests?
11. What can I do if I have an arrest warrant for a child support case?
12. How do I pay my child support?