Show All Answers
To serve as a juror you must be at least 18 years of age, a citizen of the United States, a resident of Pierce County and able to communicate in English. If you have ever been convicted of a felony, you must have had your rights restored.
You have just received your Blue Post Card and you need to respond as soon as you can. We need to know if you are planning on coming or not. Here are 2 ways to respond:
WEB – to let us know I if you are coming or not. Log in, with your badge number and your date of birth. Go through all 4 steps. The last step has several choices. Look this page over carefully if you are needing to be excused.
Phone line – to accept only.
If you have responded and are planning on coming, we will send you a red and white summons with your group number and parking information. You will be expected to start check our web site “Next Day Call In” the Friday before your report date and listen for instructions for your group number.
We are sorry if we have summoned your loved one at this time and we send our condolences. We will do our best to remove them from our database, but we need your help. We receive and update our jury data once a year from the State. To assist in removing your loved one from remaining in the database, please contact both the Driver's License Office and the Voter's Registration Office at the Auditor's Office.
Report a deceased juror from voter registration list:
Report a deceased juror at DOL (Drivers License):
send a copy of the death certificate by one of the following methods:
• Submit a letter on letterhead from your company or company you are employed for and have your supervisor sign it. • It must state they do not compensate for jury duty or it is an undue hardship to release you to serve.
• Submit a letter from your physician. • Do not send lists of medications or copies of disability paperwork we will not excuse you. • The letter must be completed by an expert in the medical field. Undue Hardship
• An undue hardship would be dependent care for your child or an elderly adult or disabled child or adult.• Please note if you are a caretaker of a disabled child or adult we will require a letter from their physician stating you are their primary care provider.
All Excusals may be sent, emailed or faxed to our office
• Jury Administration930 Tacoma Ave S, Rm 123Tacoma, WA 98402• Fax 253-798-7057• Email Address [email protected]
Not Qualified To Serve As a Juror In Pierce County
• Felony Conviction and rights have not been restored• Do not speak English• Not a US Citizen• No longer live in Pierce County.
Jury Duty Postponements
• You may postpone only ONE time up 6 months from the date you have been selected to serve Jury Duty.• Do not postpone to future date to obtain an excusal• Postponements may not be excused. Once selected it is a firm date, the court will expect you to serve on that date
Be sure to bring the portion of your summons that says 'JUROR' in bold letters with the Juror Badge number (with bar code), parking pass, etc. on it when you report in for jury duty.
Since there can be extended periods of time when you will not be required in the courtroom, you may want to bring a book or magazine. You may bring your laptop computer. There is free Wi-Fi internet access in the jury room. The jury room is equipped with games, puzzles, books, and magazines.
DO NOT bring any metal silverware, items with a sharp edge, or heavy metal belts/buckles.
We no longer send out a confirmation you have been excused or postponed.
You can check your status by logging back into our Jury Response phone line or the Jury response web site. You will be given a status of 'You have been excused', 'You are not qualified' (if there is a problem accessing our system, please call us) or 'You are not eligible' (because your jury service date is too far out in the future). If you will be reporting for your Jury service date, it will say 'You are expected'.
Failure to appear is a misdemeanor pursuant to RCW 2.36.170. If you do not report on your scheduled date, you will receive a notice indicating you have failed to appear and that it is a misdemeanor and you may be held in contempt of court. Please know that we will never call and demand payment from you because of non attendance. Please see the Juror Alert page regarding Scams.
Give yourself 30 minutes after arrival to find a parking space and to come through the County-City Building security check point.
Please be on time whenever you are told to report. This is especially important when serving on a case since the entire proceeding can be delayed because of the tardiness of one juror.
We provide work slips. This is a letter from us to you and will list the dates of your jury service.
You can print your own work slip by going to our website. Look for 'Print - Jury Attendance Report'. Input your badge number and date of birth. You or your employer can print a work slip listing the days you have been marked here into attendance for jury duty.
Call or come in and we will print a work slip for you. We will also mail, FAX or e-mail it to you.
Pierce County wants to hear from you. Please select one of the following to talk to elected officials and staff, or to report problems in our community.