How do I get an attorney?
A courtesy attorney will be available for you at the initial Shelter Care hearing. You have the right to have an attorney present at future hearings. If you cannot afford an attorney, you may qualify for an attorney at public expense. You will be given paperwork to fill out, and the judge or commissioner will determine whether you qualify.

If you missed the Shelter Care Hearing, fill out the paperwork to request an attorney and bring it to the Juvenile Court Clerk’s office as soon as possible. See Request An Attorney

Show All Answers

1. What does “Dependency” mean?
2. When can I see my child(ren)?
3. How do I get an attorney?
4. What if I missed the Shelter Care Hearing?
5. What is an Advocate/GAL?
6. What is the difference between a Child Advocate and a GAL, and what determines which my child will get?
7. What does a Child Advocate do?
8. Is there anyone I can talk with who has been through this?
9. What is Dependency 101?