When is a site development permit required?
Below are typical situations where site development permits are required:
  • Grading or clearing work in a floodplain.
  • Grading or clearing work in a wetland or wetland buffer.
  • Grading or clearing work in a critical area or its buffer.
  • The removal, deposit, or displacement of 50 cubic yards or more of material on a site.
  • Any clearing or grading work within 25 feet of a ditch, creek, stream, river, or drainage
  • course.
  • Clearing 6,000 square feet or more of land.
  • Altering a stormwater drainage system or drainage course.
  • Creating an impervious surface. Impervious surfaces include roads, driveways, parking
  • lots, and roof tops.
  • New home construction.
  • Construction of a subdivision.
  • Construction of commercial or industrial buildings.

Other activities may require a site development permit. For a complete list of regulated activities, exemptions, and requirements, see Title 17A (Construction and Infrastructure Regulations - Site Development and Stormwater Drainage) and Title 18E (Critical Areas).

Show All Answers

1. What is a site development permit?
2. When is a site development permit required?
3. How do I get a site development permit?
4. Who should I talk to if I have vesting questions regarding the site development work for my project?
5. How can I check the status of my site development permit?
6. Once I make application for my site development permit, may I start site development work?
7. Who prepares the plans and reports that I need to submit for a site development permit?
8. Can I/how do I get an extension for my general site development permit?
9. Can I/how do I get an extension for my residential site development permit?
10. At what point is work considered 'minor work in the Right-of-way' vs. an 'off-site public road improvement'?
11. What is an infiltration trench?
12. What is impervious surface?
13. What is a dispersion trench?
14. Do you have a list of surveyors and engineers?
15. Who do I talk to about a violation (filling, grading, clearing, work in floodplains, work in drainage course, etc.) on my property?